My Experience Being a Part of a Theatre's (Public Relations) Benefit

While some people spent their spring breaks going on cruises or taking vacations to some warm, sunny beach in the South Atlantic states, I spent my break rehearsing for and performing in a Cleveland theatre's annual benefit performance. The theatre I am referring to is Near West Theatre, and their last benefit was entitled, "40 Seasons of Love," and occurred on March 10, 2018.

I have done three shows with this theatre since the summer of 2017. I was first involved with their production of Steven Sondheim's "Assassins," and instantly fell in love with the theatre and the people there. It was at this theatre I fell (deeper) in love with the art that is theatre and began to understand the impact it has on everyone involved. Whether you were a part of making the piece or if you were just in the audience, good pieces of theatre leave an impact on you. Following "Assassins," I was in their winter production of "Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat," and their summer production of "Carrie: The Musical," in 2018.

I received the call to be a part of the 2018 annual benefit on New Year's Day and I couldn't have been more excited! I was invited to participate in the 2017 benefit, but I couldn't because of high school track. This year I was shocked and pleased to find the rehearsal times and performance date all fell within my spring break, so I happily agreed to be a part of the show.

I came to find that the show was a public relations outreach to the community. The show was created by Artistic Director, Bob Navis Jr., and featured songs/parodies of songs which exemplified the theatre's values of love, inclusion, intergity, creativity, activism and continuity. "40 Seasons of Love," was directed and music directed by Navis and choreographed by Josh Landis. The show started off with some testimonials from Near West Theatre veterans to let the patrons in attendance (and those watching from Facebook live) know just how much of an impact this institution has on so many people. Next on the program was Irving Berlin's song, "There's No Business Like Show Business," with some lyrics changed to tell the history of the theatre. There was a song from "Children of Eden," that featured some children who have grown up being a part of Near West Theatre singing with Stephanie Morrison Hrbeck, the theatre's founder. Following this number was an angsty teen/young adult number called, "Step One," from "Kinky Boots." Next up was a Navis original entitled "Near West Means to Me." The finale, inspired by the Majory Stoneman Douglas High School shooting, was the inspirational, "Till We Reach That Day," from "Ragtime."

Following the performance, Near West Theatre collected over $50,000 worth of donations from those who attended the benefit in just over ten minutes! I was so thrilled that a place I had grown to love was able to raise so much money so fast. I don't think this could have been accomplished if Near West Theatre hadn't portrayed their core values so much over the last 40 years. Even in these benefit events, this theatre stands by their message, which creates trust with the public. With this trust comes people who love and support your organization and will want to support it. After reminding the patrons at the benefit of Near West Theatre's rich history, outreach programs, values and the lasting impact the theatre has on people, they were more willing to give money to continue the work that this theatre does. I believe would consider this a successful public relations benefit event!

Comments

  1. It is so cool that you combined 2 things you are so passionate about!! I am glad the event was so successful and I hope you get more opportunities to do this in the future because it sounds like you're good at it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is incredible! What a great idea for a theatre to do something like this as a fundraiser. It is a sign of a smart and valued organization that it was such a success. I'm so glad you got to be a part of something like this! It sounds amazing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

An Easter Snapchat Review

Ohio Northern University Prepares to Tackle Sarah Delappe's "The Wolves"