The Art of Social Media Book Review

Cover of the book I read for Social Media Principles
Well its's time for another post under the "Critical Analysis of Reading Blog." Since we finished Guy Kawasaki and Peg Fitzpatrick's "The Art of Social Media" book and my workbook for the next portion of the class is still in the mail I decided to write this week's "Critical Analysis of Reading Blog" over the book in it's entirety.

One thing I really liked was that Kawasaki was very concise and straight to the point all throughout his book. This made the book very easy to read. The entire book was essentially a list of steps, eventually totaling 123, to follow in order to master social media.

Another aspect I really liked about Kawasaki's writing style was how he wrote the book as if he was talking to a friend. The conversational manner of the book made it a very fast read.

The book started off in a very simple fashion. Kawasaki discussed how to optimize a profile, which included tips on what makes a profile successful from first glance. He gave seemingly obvious tips like having a clear picture of your face, having a cover/header that tells a story and completing your entire profile. Later on in the novel he got specific about how to make great posts, use each individual platform, run Google+ Hangouts (which I didn't even know existed) and rock Twitter chats. Kawasaki discussed other things in his book, but if you've been reading my posts I am pretty sure you get the gist of the other chapters.

I would also like to share some of my favorite tips from the book. Since they helped me maybe they can help you too! Kawasaki tells his readers to "Seize the (Holi)Day" by timing posts to coincide with holidays. This is a smart idea, and one that works. I can attest to this tip working because I usually don't read Snapchat stories from websites, but since Valentine's Day is coming up I have been more apt to click on and read the articles having to do with the holiday. One I read just today was from Buzzfeed and it was entitled "Plan Your Perfect Valentine's Day Adventure." Despite being in the middle of Ada, Ohio without access to most of the suggestions in the article I still really enjoyed reading it!

I also really took to heart Kawasaki's tip to make your posts more interesting by adding photos of videos to them. Ever since reading that I made sure that each of my posts has a photo in it of some sort. I think that the inclusion of pictures makes my posts and my blog look prettier.

That is all for my "Critical Analysis of Reading Blog" post this week. Come back next week to see me analyze the reading from my new workbook!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Easter Snapchat Review

My Experience Being a Part of a Theatre's (Public Relations) Benefit

Ohio Northern University Prepares to Tackle Sarah Delappe's "The Wolves"