What's The Buzz With "Jesus Christ Superstar" at Ohio Northern?

This week I was able to sit down with Bryanah Austin, co-founder and co-director of Audacia Theatre Project here at Ohio Northern University and record a podcast (listen here) about getting a student led theatre company up and running. I am lucky enough to work with Bryanah and be a part of the company's first show, "Jesus Christ Superstar," as the music director.

This is a show that takes a closer look at the later years in life (and death) of Jesus Christ as told from the perspective of the infamous Judas Iscariot.

The show was originally conceived by Andrew Lloyd Webber and Tim Rice and was later recorded as a concept album in 1970. The rock opera finally reached the Broadway stage in 1971 and has since become a worldwide phenomenon. The show is also receiving a live musical adaptation on NBC this Easter with John Legend starring as Jesus, Sara Bareilles as Mary Magdalene and Alice Cooper as King Herrod. This is all the casting that has come out yet, leaving fans wondering who will portray Judas.

As a part of my Social Media Principles class I had to record a podcast about anything I wanted as long as it was at least five minutes long. However, once I started talking about "Jesus Christ Superstar" with the show's director I got a little carried away and recorded 23 minutes worth of audio. I was able to edit and trim the recording down to 17 minutes with tools like Audacity, Apowersoft and Opinion Podcasts. It took a lot of trial and error for me to figure out how to cut parts of the recording out and how to eventually add and fade in/out of songs from the show's cast recording album for the beginning and end of the podcast.

To hear about the trials and tribulations (this is a line from the show's "Last Supper") of starting a theatre company on campus, then be sure to check out my podcast!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Easter Snapchat Review

My Experience Being a Part of a Theatre's (Public Relations) Benefit

Ohio Northern University Prepares to Tackle Sarah Delappe's "The Wolves"