Ohio Northern Begins Rehearsals for "Sweet Charity"

Ohio Northern University's Department of Theatre Arts began the first week of rehearsals for their spring musical production of "Sweet Charity" on Feb. 26. This show has music by Cy Coleman, lyrics by Dorothy Fields and the book by Neil Simon. It was originally directed, choreographed and conceived by Bob Fosse and was based on Federico Fellini's screenplay for "Nights of Cabiria." Fosse, with the help of Simon, created a story following a hopelessly romantic dance hall hostess, Charity Hope Valentine, as she tries to break the bad cycle of men in her life. Fosse blurs the line about what the job requirements are for people who work as a dance hall hostess and lets the audience decide, which adds a fun layer of mystery to the show.

Heading up the production team is musical theatre professor, Courtney Kattengell, as the director and choreographer. The guest stage manager position is filled by Kristen Sutter, with ONU students, Connor Rock Brunken, Sarah Matlow and Rachel Breitigam serving as the production's assistant stage managers. Resident artist, Michael Jordan, is serving as the music director. The cast features junior Hallie Heffernan as Charity Hope Valentine; seniors Sybil Anast and Emily Schmid as Charity's best friends, Nickie and Helene (respectively); senior Riley Alexander as Charity's love interest, Oscar Lindquist; senior Patrick Riley as the owner of the dance hall, Herman; senior Joey Nicoletti as Italian movie star, Vittorio Vidal; senior Alecia Pagnotta as Vidal's girlfriend Ursula March and junior Michael Swain-Smith as Daddy Brubeck. Filling out the ensemble of the show is Stephen Coakley, Adelyn Helms, Kaitlin Jempson, Taran Lester, Alec Beiswinger, Audrey Bivens, Ryan Book, Holden Davenport, Danielle Mouch, Megan Timmons, Kyle Wilkerson, Bridget Mahoney and me!

Kattengell decided to take this typically large, colorful show and strip it down to its roots. She decided to do the show with a bit of a smaller cast and took away the 1960's glamour usually related to this show in order to set it in the dirty, scary New York City of the time period. She is accomplishing this with the help of a lovely set made out of three movable and transformable scaffolding set pieces. The performers will move the set pieces and alter them slightly to transform the stage from dance halls to underground churches to anything else.

Each production at ONU has a cast member volunteer to be the rehearsal photographer, and for "Sweet Charity," that responsibility fell to me. When I get back from spring break I will have my camera and be ready to document the rehearsal process. I will also be attempting to share some of these photos on my blog and give you all a little insight into what goes on in the life of someone doing a musical at ONU. It is my first non-dance show while at school and being in it has been a lot of fun so far. Jordan has just been leading the cast in learning the music and has really been focusing on big ensemble numbers like, "I'm A Brass Band," "The Rhythm of Life," "Big Spender," and "I Love to Cry At Weddings." I am so glad I get to be in the ensemble and have a few little parts in this show, like Vidal's servant, Manfred. The music of the show is really underappreciated, and the life that the cast brings to the music is astounding.

If you'd like to hear some amazing people sound incredible singing some great songs and telling a very intriguing story, then be sure to buy your tickets to the show starting on March 19. All shows take place in the Freed Center for the Performing Arts in the Biggs Theatre. Show dates are April 19-21 at 7 p.m. and April 21-22 at 2 p.m. Tickets are $20 for adults, $10 for seniors and $5 for students/children.

Comments

  1. This is another show I have to see for my Intro to Performing Arts class but I am so excited for it! My experience with the productions done by the ONU Theatre Department have been nothing but positive so far and I can't wait to add this one to the list of successful performances they have pulled off. Thank you for sharing all the background information; it has made me even more excited to see it in April!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! We are only just beginning! I am so excited to be a part of this show. It has been a while since I've been a part of the ensemble in a musical, and I feel like the ensemble for this show is a particularly good gig. There are so many fun small roles the ensemble gets to the on, the music is super lively and there are so many dance breaks I know Courtney will make incredible! I think this show is dazzling and I am already excited for people to see it. Everyone get your tickets!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

An Easter Snapchat Review

My Experience Being a Part of a Theatre's (Public Relations) Benefit

Ohio Northern University Prepares to Tackle Sarah Delappe's "The Wolves"