How to Optimize Storage Space on Your Phone

This week I thought I'd share my favorite tip with you all on how to make the most out of your phone's storage and how to relive your favorite memories all at the same time. You will need two applications to accomplish this. Those two apps are Google Photos and Timehop. Both of these are available on Apple and Android products so there is no excuse not to be able to take advantage of this.

I learned about Google Photos a couple years ago when trying to figure out how to keep all of my pictures and videos on my phone because I am a hoarder when it comes to memories. Google Photos allows you to save as many photos as you want to a Google account, and then you can pull up the pictures anywhere you can sign in with your account. This is very similar to the iCloud concept for Apple products, but it works on all platforms and all devices and doesn't have a limit of free backup you can make like iCloud does.

This app is also really cool because it scans the pictures you save and organizes folders of different faces. This is useful in situations where you want to post pictures with someone whether it be their birthday or an anniversary or you just want to share with the world how great your friend is. You can even assign names/contact information to the folders, so it is as easy as searching your friends name in the app and finding all pictures with their face in it.

Google Photos streamlines the storage optimization by providing an assistant in the application that deletes any pictures that it knows are still in your device's albums even though they are already backed up. After this step, you gain so much storage back by going to the Photos app and deleting the recently deleted section.

My favorite part of Google Photos is the ability to connect it to Timehop. This is an app that is paired with social media accounts and allows you to see posts you made on a certain day any number of years ago. I love seeing what I was up to on my social media accounts in conjunction with what pictures I was taking one, two, three or four years ago. This is a great pair of apps for people like me who are very nostalgic and like to look back on precious memories. Anytime I hear somebody complain about not having enough space on their phone I always tell them about this solution. It helped me out a couple years ago and after hearing a coworker complain while working over spring break I decided it might be useful to people reading my blog too. Hope this could help you in some way!

Comments

  1. Wow I never knew about Google Photos. I actually am going to download it and check it out. I just went on vacation and took lots of photos but I got the dreaded notification saying my storage is almost full. This post came at a great time! I also think this is why I love google products. I am an avid google drive/docs user. I can type as many documents and they automatically save and they are infinite. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a useful post. You always hear about the common problem among every smart phone user: the awful pop up that says 'storage full'. I got a new phone a couple months ago so I'm still riding off the new phone high thinking my storage is unlimited and there's no way I'd ever need to switch my photos over to save space. I am wrong and I know I am, but I will continue riding this wave of aware stupidity until that notification pops up. After that moment, I will heed your advice and look into the app. So, thank you very much and keep rocking it with the great posts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mathew,

    I agree that there are a great deal of alternatives that help you to curate and keep track of your pictures. I personally like to use Google Photos because I already have a google plus account because of college. This allows me to free up a lot of space on my phone without sacrificing space on my phone keeping track of hundreds of pictures. It is a very streamlined and helpful way to curate, view, and share your pictures. I'm glad you're spreading the word about how useful this function really is!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Matthew,

    Since I am an Android user, I have had the luxury of Google Photos already downloaded and ready to go on my phone. At first, I found it useless, but then my phone broke! Luckily, Google Photos backed up most, not all, of my photos. Now, I make sure I constantly keep my photos backed up. I also like how after your photos are backed up, you can access them on your computer and download them. I find this helpful because you do not need to constantly email photos to yourself! As for Timehop, it sounds interesting, but I don't believe I will ever use it.

    Thanks for sharing!
    Crystal

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

An Easter Snapchat Review

My Experience Being a Part of a Theatre's (Public Relations) Benefit

Ohio Northern University Prepares to Tackle Sarah Delappe's "The Wolves"